Magazine Cover Review
Blog post #2 MAGAZINE COVER REVIEW
After reviewing a few different types of magazines I’ve learned some new things about making a successful magazine. Just like movies magazines have a lot of movie parts that all add to the whole. In magazines things to pay attention to are Font, text color, text size, pictures, logos, famous people, and brands, etc.
Among all magazines there's one common thing they all use, BOLD FONTS this is because bold fonts grab the reader's attention and makes the reader want to purchase a magazine. An example of this bold font is on the “GQ” Travis Scott magazine we looked at. The letters were big bright blue and looked they were on fire. Like I said earlier this is used to get the attention of possible costumer. Something else I learned while reviewing magazines is that the cover is the most important part of a magazine. Another strategy used is who's on the cover. The magazine “Cosmopolitan” uses pretty girls on their covers this is a strategy used to get more costumers cause after all “sex sells” another thing I noticed is every cosmopolitan magazine has the word “sex” on it this grabs the reader's attention. A lot of magazines use a bold controversial statement to get the costumers attention, so they’ll buy their magazines. On the cover of “Men's health” magazine there's a bold statement about racism which is a big controversial topic right now. This is a perfect example of how magazines take what's relevant in the world and use that to sell magazines. The “Oprah” magazine uses certain colors and words to portray the feeling of happiness which appeals to people. This magazine also has credibility because its Oprah freaking Winfrey and she's made a name for herself, so when people see Oprah on the cover, they have a sense of trust in the magazine. Magazines are also really good at targeting their audience. The magazine “Sports illustrated” is clearly targeted towards men. This magazine is about sports and usually have a famous sports player like tom brady. Sports illustrated also has a font for their name that is very recognizable. This is an example of good branding. Sports illustrated is also good at matching the title color with the jersey of the famous sports player this makes the magazine really appealing. Also the amount of text in a magazine plays a big role. Since according to the article people now a day are losing their attention span. “they have shorter attention spans than any previous generation; they are chronically over-stimulated and easily bored.” On the contrary Hal Espen, the editor of Outside says "I say this attention-span stuff is an urban legend.”
In conclusion a lot of thought goes into magazines and making them the most appealing magazine. After reviewing and taking notes on all these magazines I think I'm still more inclined to make a movie trailer. This is because magazines just aren't really my style and I've also seen way more movie trailers then I've read magazines thus giving me more info on movie trailer making.
Comments
Post a Comment